Seri Kaya, or Srikaya, or some people just call it Kaya, is a coconut jam made from coconut milk, eggs and sugar. It’s sweet, thick, creamy and “rich”. The word kaya itself means rich in Indonesian. I really adore this jam. There’s always something nostalgic about this sweet spread. A couple of weeks ago, my husband was back from his business trip to Makassar. One of Makassar’s famous souvenirs is this lovely jam. Knowing that I love seri kaya so much, he bought me 6 jars of Makassar Seri Kaya! I’m a happy wife 😀 Well, turns out I’m not the only one who feels happy. After first taste, my son has become the newest fan of this jam 😀
This morning, I was thinking to make other than just ordinary seri kaya sandwiches for my son’s breakfast. Then I remembered that I have my beautiful Hello Bebe glass food container from Lock & Lock. Ha! I should give it a try, then. First recipe idea that came up in my mind is “bread and butter pudding”. Hmmm.. that would be lovely for breakfast! A warm, sweet, one-dish meal is hard to resist in the morning. I used pandan bread to make this pudding. Pandan and seri kaya is a very good combination.
But there’s sudden change in my plan, though. My oven was suddenly broken this morning! Arrrghh… I really didn’t know what happened. It just stopped working. Blah. Well, I finally decided to steam the bread pudding. After all, my Hello Bebe glass food container is made from borosilicate glass, which withstands high heat and sudden cooling. It could be used not only in a fridge, freezer, microwave, and dishwasher, but also in a 400ºC oven and a steamer! It really saved my day!
4 slices pandan bread
200 ml milk
1 tbsp sugar
How to Make
- Preheat the steamer, or if you want to bake the pudding, preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4/350ºF.
- Grease your glass food container with some butter.
- Make sandwiches with the pandan bread and seri kaya (about 1 tablespoonfuls in each sandwich).
- Now cut the sandwiches to fit the food container.
- Whisk the egg with sugar and milk. Pour this over the sandwiches and leave them to soak up the liquid for about 5 minutes, by which time the pudding is ready to go into the steamer or the oven.
- Sit the glass food container in the steamer, or in the oven to cook for about 45 minutes or until the custard has set and puffed up slightly.