My son had his 2nd birthday last September. Oh how fast time flies, how fast he grows. For me, he is forever a baby 😀 He had already entered preschool since last August, so it was his first birthday bash at school. I wanted something personal to be the goodie bags, something sweet like..cakes! (well, the only thing I can do is baking of course, I am no good at crafting or whatsoever :D)
At first I wanted to make cute, personalised cupcakes, but it would take so much time (for me). Since I started to work again, it was not an option to make fancy cupcakes for the goodie bags. So I decided to make cake in a jar.. and the next question was.. what kind of cake? I thought my tiramisu would be easy to be made (since it requires no baking!), but hey.. not every parents would let their kids to eat cakes using coffee as one of the ingredients. That’s why I came up with this recipe. It used the same amount of lady fingers, mascarpone, cream cheese, and whipped cream, but I substituted coffee with homemade strawberry juice and also used sliced strawberries within layers. I also used melted white chocolate to give the cake “extra” flavour (in the other hand, I cut down the amount of sugar :)). My mom called this cake as a “strawberry cheesecake” because it tasted like one. But I prefer to call it “tiramisu” because it contains lady fingers and mascarpone cheese. Well, you may call it whatever you like 😀
– 200 ml strawberry juice (I prefer homemade strawberry juice since it is so easy to be made. You just need to chop 250-300 gr strawberries, blend them with small amount of water until smooth. Pour the strawberry juice into a pan and heat until it starts bubbling. Put enough sugar and water to juice as you like.)
– 250 gr strawberries, thinly sliced
– 250 gr mascarpone cheese
– 125 gr cream cheese
– 250 ml whipping cream/double cream
– 125 gr white chocolate, melted, room temperature
– 4 tbsp castor sugar
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 28 pcs lady finger biscuits
– sliced almonds (optional), roast them in moderate oven to give extra flavor and “crunch”
How to Make
- Whip the whipping cream with sugar and vanilla extract until it forms stiff peaks (I prefer to make it “stiff” because it will be mixed with “runny” melted white chocolate). Refrigerate the whipped cream while preparing the next step.
- In another bowl, mix well the mascarpone and cream cheese.
- Mix together the cheese mixture, whipped cream, and melted white chocolate until well combined.
- Dip both sides of the lady fingers into strawberry juice. Remove the lady fingers quickly (as they get soften really quick) and arrange the soaked lady fingers in bottom of your prepared dish.
- Spread enough amount of cheese mixture to cover the lady fingers.
- Arrange sliced strawberries to cover the cheese layer.
- Repeat steps for second layer. You may have two or three layers depends on how big your dish is. Just remember that you have to have the cheese mixture on top of your layer.
- Sprinkle the top layer (cheese mixture) with sliced almonds (if using), or you can decorate the cake with sliced strawberries (just like I did in the photo).
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8-10 hours to let the flavors blend.