My son is not a picky eater. Thank God for that! But now he is one year old, and he likes to chew A LOT. Baby porridge, like I used to cook before, is no longer meet his appetite. I look for recipe that has ‘rougher’ texture than porridge but still, soft enough for his little teeth and gums. Then I found this yummy fish pie recipe from the one and only Annabel Karmel, Queen of Babies Foods :D. It didn’t take a long time to decide making this pie! I used everything left in my fridge (so the recipe below was slightly modified), and put only 125 grams salmon fillet. 250 grams of fish is too much for this teeny-weeny pies.
- 375 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 40g butter
- a little salt and pepper (for babies over one)
- 15 g butter
- 25 g onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 125 g salmon fillet, skinned and cubed
- 50 g carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 75 ml milk
- 50 ml vegetable stock (or water)
- 50 g frozen peas
- 50 g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lightly beaten egg
How to Make
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil, add the potatoes, reduce the heat and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain the potatoes and mash together with the milk, half butter, and half grated cheese until smooth. Season to taste (but I found that the mixture of milk, butter, and cheese is tasty enough that I don’t need any extra salt and/or pepper).
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan, add the onion and sauté until softened. Add the flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring. Gradually stir in the milk and then the stock/water. Bring to the boil and cook for one minute. Add the fish, along with the bay leaf. Simmer for about 3 minutes and then stir in the peas and diced carrots, cook for one minute. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the cheese until melted. Season with a little salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide the fish mixture between 3 ramekin dishes and top with the mashed potato. Brush with the lightly beaten egg. Heat through in an oven preheated to 180C for about 15 minutes and finish off for a few minutes under a preheated grill until golden.
Suitable for freezing
Suitable for babies from 10 months