I adapted this recipe from Martha Stewart’s One Bowl Chocolate Cake. As Martha said in her book, all the ingredients come together in one bowl. Less dirty dishes to be washed after baking! 😀
These cupcakes are really moist because using vegetable oil instead of butter. Oh, and go find the best cocoa powder in your town. The best ingredient is never fail to produce the best flavor.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Valrhona is the best of all! No wonder…)
- 1 ½ cups sugar. The original recipe calls for this amount. But it’s not enough to please my sweet tooth :D. I used to have 2 cups of sugar instead. Adjust the sweetness to your taste. Don’t forget that you also have frosting on top of the cupcakes!
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup buttermilk. You can see the substitute of buttermilk here.
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- ¾ cup warm water
- Chocolate Ganache or Vanilla/Chocolate Meringue Buttercream
How to Make
- Preheat the oven to 180° C/350° F, and line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, oil, vanilla extract, and water. Beat them with low speed (if using electric mixer), until you have a smooth and combined batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the lined cups. Do not overfill the cases, as the cakes will make a flat top and won’t rise like muffins do. Fill each case just about two-thirds full.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until a cake inserter or wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool them in wire racks before putting frosting on top.
- Now choose your favorite frosting! You can use either Chocolate Ganache or Vanilla/Chocolate Meringue Buttercream.
-make 18 cupcakes-