I love baking, and I love it more if I’m using my tangerine KitchenAid stand mixer. It saves my time and my energy. But there is a day when I’m not in the mood for washing dirty kitchen utensils after spending my time in the kitchen. This recipe is really great to accommodate my need of freshly baked homemade cake while I’m too lazy to do the washing thingy, as I don’t need any mixer to make this! 🙂
- 6 eating apples
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp + 2 cups sugar
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 ½ tsp real vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
How to Make
- Preheat your oven to 180° Celsius/350° Fahrenheit, line a 30 cm/12 inch circular cake pan with baking paper, or grease the cake pan with butter, then lightly coat the pan with flour. This recipe will give you a big batch of batter, so use a quite big cake pan.
- Peel, core, and chop the apples into chunks. Then toss them with the mixture of ground cinnamon + 5 Tbsp sugar.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the oil, orange juice, 2 cups of sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture, and mix them until everything’s combined.
- Add the eggs to the batter, one at a time.
- Pour half of batter into the cake pan, and spread half of apples over it.
- Pour remaining batter over the apples, then spread remaining apples onto it.
- Bake for about 1½ hours (yes, it takes long time in the oven). Insert a wooden toothpick near the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, your cake is done.