Sponge cake itself maybe looks not too appealing. But you know what? There are MANY kinds of delicious cakes you can make by using sponge cakes as its base. Strawberry shortcake is one of them. I promise I’ll post more recipes using sponge cake later.
For first time baker, mastering basic cake recipes will help you a lot to minimize chaos and all those clutters in the kitchen. Once you’ve mastered one basic cake, you can make many variations. Your imagination is the limit.
- 3 eggs (remember to use room temperature eggs)
- 85 gr confectioners’ sugar
- 5 gr unsalted butter, melted
- 92 gr cake flour, or low protein flour (Indonesian people can use “tepung kunci biru”)
- 15 ml milk
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
How to Make
- Preheat your oven to 180° Celsius, line a 18 cm (7 or 8 inch) circular cake pan with baking paper, or grease the cake pan with butter, then lightly coat the pan with flour.
- Using your hand mixer, or stand mixer, or otherwise, your hands, whisk the eggs and sugar together, until you get a white and lightly stiff batter. Here’s a clue so you will know when to stop whisking: After whisking about 7 to 10 minutes (depends on your mixer), try to lift up your mixer from the bowl. When it’s ready, your batter will hold a “ribbon” for about 10 seconds.
- Gradually add the flour into your batter, and fold the batter lightly using a spatula. Move the spatula across the bottom of the bowl, then bring it back up the other side, carrying some of the mixture from the bottom over the surface. Repeat it until ingredients are combined.
- Add milk, vanilla, and melted butter to your batter, and fold them in the same way you fold the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan (don’t forget to spread your batter evenly into the pan), and pop it into the oven. Bake for 35 minutes or so. .
- You will know when the cake is done by touching the top lightly with your finger. It will springs back when it’s done. Or use another trick by inserting a wooden toothpick near the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, your cake is done.
- Rest the cake on the cooling rack.
Now jazz up your sponge cake and jump into this Strawberry Shortcake recipe!