Okay, firstly, don’t be alarmed about making muffin (or cake) from scratch. It’s NOT that difficult!
The golden rule of making muffins is: a LUMPY batter makes the best muffin! So, please, do not over-mix the batter. That will save your effort too… ^ ^
This recipe is originally made by Nigella Lawson as I got it from her book “Nigella Express“, but here I made some modifications. I promise this will be as easy as 1-2-3. No one will know this is your first time baking from scratch 😉
Oh, and one more reason why you should try this. As Nigella said: “Banana’s resilient squidginess makes this muffins very good travelers.” Bake today, eat tomorrow. No more fuss.
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil = 118.3 ml
– 2 eggs
– 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour = 168.9 gr (Indonesians can use either “Segitiga Biru” or “Kunci Biru” flour)
– 1/2 cup sugar = 95.82 gr
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (do remember that It’s different from baking powder!)
– 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas = 286.9 grams
(Indonesian people can use “Sunpride” bananas, but I prefer “pisang Ambon” 😉 They have stronger banana taste!)
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 200′ C, and line a muffin tray with paper cases
- Measure the oil and mix with the eggs
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda into a large bowl and mix them with liquid ingredients, then followed by the mashed bananas
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases (use Ice Cream scoop to handle it easier), and bake them for 20 minutes or so
(Remember that ovens vary. The cooking times I give are the ones that work with my oven. You need to get to know yours.)
So, you’ve mastered this recipe? Do make some variations by stirring some grated Cheddar Cheese into the batter, plus sprinkling the grated cheese on top of the muffins, and… et voila! You’ve got Cheesy Banana Muffins!
Got bored? Substitute the cheese with chocolate chips, and Chocolate Banana Muffins will be served right away!